So, today there was some drama. Some heated internet drama.
(Thankfully, it was not surrounding me!)
And, true to Facebook form, it was pretty big drama.
It was all because of a status. One little status that blew up into a 35+ comment tirade.
Scripture was quoted, people were called out, the gloves were off.
It was stupid. And hurtful. And totally uncalled for.
I mean, seriously. It can't be said often enough- Choose your battles wisely!
Especially when your fight is with another Christian.
I don't remember anywhere in the Bible where Jesus was like, "Yeah, you guys should def use scripture to insult and belittle each other. Attack each other often...and use Facebook whenever possible. It's important to make sure everyone can see your opinions."
I don't think so.
-----> "You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God's judgement seat." **
Bam. Scripture reference.
I don't want to sound like I just agree with everything or that I believe that all paths lead to God or something crazy. I do disagree with some (Ok, lots) of people on certain interpretations of commandments and so forth. But what I take that to mean is that it's not for me. I think to myself, "Hmm, self. I'm not sure if I agree with that...I'm not sure that that's what the scripture means exactly, so that's not how I'll apply it to my life. I guess I won't do it that way." Easy.
Granted, there are situations where someone is totally taking the Bible out of context or being blasphemous or what-have-you and I think that in that situation, it's obviously appropriate to privately confront the person on what you believe to be a dangerous misrepresentation of scripture (The BIBLE tells you how to go about doing that, in case you ever need to know). That being said, it's NOT appropriate behavior to call someone out, pretty much in public, over something that's not much more than an opinion. A matter of different theology.
Theology is how we translate the Bible's content into meaningful application. It's the OPINIONS we have formed for ourselves concerning God's Word. What it is NOT is a perfect, all-knowing set of rules with which we tear each other apart.
How dare you.
It's like that Duggar family I was watching tonight on TLC (Never fear, I can turn anything into a TV reference). People get mad at them and criticize their lifestyle, telling them they're wrong and that they're crazy or whatever. It's pretty much not fair, especially for other Christians. Like, ok, I'm not going to have 20 kids. Simply because I just don't think I could do that. Physically...and Emotionally. Not. For. Me. But just because it's not for me doesn't mean that God hasn't called someone else to have 20 children.
It's not for me to try to decide what God does and does not plan for other peoples' lives.
And because of that I don't think it's my place to tear someone down and tell them that they're wrong for following what they truly believe to be God's calling for their life.
What kind of an idiotic, self-important jerk would I be???
I just hate it when people do that! It's just so wrong. How can we have any idea what is in the mind & heart of God? How can we even try to think about the plans that He has for us, let alone the plans He has for our brothers and sisters? We're supposed to be building each other up, not pointing fingers and trying to out-Scripture each other.
Why can't we see what God is doing in each other's lives and get excited?!?!
I see the person that the status belonged to (the one who got beaten down, mercilessly) and I think "Wow. My friend loves Jesus and is following what she has found to be His will for her life. How awesome that she has been able to trust Him and follow." That's between her and God. What she's doing with her life, because she is walking with the Lord, really is her business. If she was clearly living in sin, then, yeah, I would talk to her and be, like, "Ya gotta stop, homes." But she's not. So...why waste my time analyzing what she's doing and trying to decide if her position & choices fit with MY theology?
Doing that isn't going to benefit me and it f'sho isn't going to benefit my friend.
So. Stop hating on other Christians. Seriously.
Save the hate for important things. Like aggressive mom haircuts.
** Romans 14:10, NIV
No comments:
Post a Comment