Monday, November 21, 2011

What I like about you

I can't believe I haven't blogged in days!

....Oh, wait. I can believe it. My life has been absolutely boring lately ( which is weird, cause it's usually oh-so-exciting.) My apologies, Internet. I've missed you!

In addition to missing little ol' you, I've been... fussy. With my son. With myself. With my husband. I don't know how to describe it...I just feel fussy. My fussiness causes marital discord (understandably) and I end up with a laundry list of "Why-I-was-rights" and little things I start to hate. I want to share them, hang them out for the world to see! But that would be stupid and I don't want this to become too much of a negative space for me.
So, in place of what's been annoying me (petty things, Internet. Petty things.) I made a list of

3 Reasons Why I Heart My Husband

  • He tries really hard to be a good dad. Take tonight, for example. I was out at my parents' all day while James went to visit his brother. He was supposed to meet up with us out there for dinner, but decided he was tired and went straight home. I was a little bummed cause that meant I was solo Thomas-patrolling for the rest of the night and was going to have to bring in the laundry and our stuff and put a reeeeally tired, cranky boy to bed. Not super fun. But, when I got home, I found Thomas' room all ready to go. His mattress was covered in a quilt (we ran out of sheets, hence me doing laundry at my mom's), his heater was turned up, and his night light and noise maker were turned on. It was just the sweetest thing that he thought to make a little nest for the boy before he went to sleep. I was so grateful that I had that much less to do when we got home! James is still learning (so am I!) and he does things that I would never do (never, ever, ever, never, ever), but he really is trying. And I'm learning that that can be as good as doing.
  • He can be pretty thoughtful. It's weird how one person can be so clueless about somethings (Seriously. Face. Palm.) and get other things totally right. Well, let me tell you, he got some things totally right this weekend. He got things awesome. Saturday morning, I woke up and heard James talking to Thomas in the living room. I jumped at the opportunity to have an uninterrupted, un-time-limited shower. When I got out, I found James folding laundry while playing with Thomas after he had changed him and made him eggs and toast for breakfast. How precious is that!? A little mother alone time: thoughtful annnd priceless.
  • He. Will. Eat. Anything. This one seems like maybe not so much of a big deal, but it so is! It's such a blessing that he's not picky about food, at all. I LOVE that I can throw out any old food idea and he just goes with it. "Uh...want ramen for dinner?" "*shrugs* Sure." Awesome. He doesn't expect to eat real food all the time. He likes it if I make something amazing (which is pretty much always, I assure you), but he doesn't really care. I think it's cause he just loves food no matter what. It takes such a huge burden off of me, knowing that he's not expecting a meal every night. This was especially cool when I was in school and is just as cool now that I'm too busy being an awesome-fun mom/best friend to think about dinners. Can't say how much I love this about him.

And there you have it. With that out of the way, I'm feeling much less fussy.
Those are some pretty great qualities. It's so much better to focus on those things than the things that make me want to run over small animals with a wood chipper...

What a guy.
I'd tell him how much I appreciate him if he were awake right now. But he's been in bed for hours because he has to get up at 4:45 to go work. (Hey! There's another thing I appreciate!)
Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some snuggling to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment